Saturday 14 January 2012

Letitia Cropley lives on …



In the spirit of Letitia Cropley one of the eccentrics in the village of Dibley, I set to baking a loaf of bread this morning without buttermilk. Buttermilk is a commodity that’s nigh impossible to source on the Piccadilly line. A few days ago I attempted to manufacture buttermilk myself by adding vinegar to the milk. Alex thought the end result was not great as the taste of the vinegar was felt in the bread.
So today’s effort saw me adding much less vinegar and including a dash of balsamic vinegar in the mix. I then mixed flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, honey, an egg, mixed spice and nutmeg and baked for forty minutes. We waited with baited breath for the loaf to cool down to taste. Alex loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment