Sunday 23 May 2010

Under the weather


The cottage became a potential location shoot for ER, Casualty, Nurse Jackie & Holby City. It all began with Blue. Move the olive tree, Alex shouted up at me as she left for work on Wednesday. She did not want Blue to attack it in a fit of pique while we were at work. A few minutes later, I tried to shift it. Aaaah. Something moved in my back. I hobbled into the sofa and Blue followed me darting about, her ears pricked and her eyes full of concern. I made it to work and took a ****load of neurofen and paracetemol. That evening we ate prawns and noodles. They were lovely and light. Delicate, even. Flavoursome and wholesome. We went to bed with me moaning about my back and Alex telling me to take some tablets and me saying - what's the point at bedtime. We fell asleep. I woke about 3.00am. Alex was sitting up in bed hunched over. What's wrong baby. I have never felt so ill came the reply. She sounded really really pathetic. I gave her some comfort but had to go to the loo. I got out of bed and screamed my way to the toilet. My back was in agony. As I was finishing on the toilet Alex came in. She was moaning really badly. I was screaming very loudly clinging to the wall while she was retching in the bathroom. Blue was looking at us both in a state of high anxiety. She came and sat at my foot and licked it saying - don't worry - I'll look after you.

We moaned and groaned our way back to bed. I had a deadline at work - not the best time to do your back in. We got a call through to an osteopath who advised, no sitting and painkillers. Alex had to get up from her sickbed and drive me to work where I picked up the papers I needed. I can still read and write in a lying down position. We decided that Alex's illness must be due to one dodgy prawn. She's off them entirely now. Come to think of it - having heard her getting sick I think I am too.

But that's not the end of it. The day after the night before Alex complained that her hand and arm were sore. And it got worse. Friday saw no easing of it. It's hard to see pain etched on anyone, especially Alex. Yesterday evening she gave in and said - take me to A & E. Flawed and all as it may be, we are lucky to have the NHS to tend to us. Take note, Dave 7 Nick. In the three hours we were there, we saw a preliminary navigator nurse, an investigatory nurse, had an x-ray, saw a doctor and finally a treatment nurse who fitted a splint. Along the way we came across a host of characters with their own stories from all walks of life. The stuff of television drama.

The possible diagnosis is calcification leading to tendonitis. Treatment: Painkillers, armrest and tlc ....

No comments:

Post a Comment